The Minomana® babywearing coat blog.
7 Reasons Moms Are Babywearing (From Supermodels To The Mom-Next-Door)
When my little girl was a few months old, she would only sleep in her sling. She needed the sense of familiarity that being so close to her mommy provided; to hear my heartbeat, to feel the warmth of my skin and to relax to the rhythmical movements of real life.
When wrapped against me, she would settle with the gentlest of rocking, a little swaying or even just a potter around the house. And so, in a plain brown wrap, she nestled into my chest. For us, this practice was simply a nameless necessity. Back then, I didn’t even know that babywearing was a “thing.”
Now, 5 years later and ahead of the arrival of my second baby, I have more than maternal intuition alone convincing me to continue along this well-trodden pathway of carrying our little ones. And I’m not alone, since the babywearing industry has more than quadrupled in that timeframe. Each and every month, more and more wraps, slings and carriers are launched into this competitive market, many of which selling out within minutes.
And far from simple block brown stretch fabric, the sheer luxury of materials and designs now available wouldn’t seem out of place splashed across the pages of Vogue. In fact, high-end slings have actually already graced those elusive pages, wrapped around the babies of supermodels… it seems that slings are just as much a fashion statement as they are a practical component of our parenting toolkits.
Source: @elite_amsterdam, Twitter
One thing is certain; babywearing fever has arrived. Yet there is so much more to this art form than beautiful fabrics alone.
Here are 7 of the top reasons that moms are wearing their babies, from supermodels to the mom-next-door… because the practice of babywearing is all-inclusive…
- Babies that are worn are happier. Evidence suggests that carrying our babies is directly correlated to decreased crying and fussing.
- Babywearing helps meet an infant’s physical needs. Scientists are linking the gentle movement that babies experience during babywearing to improvements in breathing, growth, physiological regulation and motor development. To wear our babies also encourages increased feeding frequency and heightened contentment.
- Babywearing helps meet a child’s emotional needs. Wearing our babies provides the comfort and security needed to help foster healthy attachment relationships.
- Babywearing is beautiful. It might sound clichéd, but it’s true. The sheer intricacy and detailing of the fabrics available, alongside the tenderness of a mother’s love as she carefully wraps her precious baby to her own miraculous body highlights a raw, nurturing kind of beauty that this world needs to see more of. Because motherhood and beauty should go hand in hand. Whether that’s the everyday ‘real life’ beauty that exists beneath burp cloths and maternity pants, or the ‘media-ready’ images of beauty that grace our screens and take our breath away…
“We are translating age-old traditions into a fashion and lifestyle statement…We believe that mothers can feel more confident if they are carrying their babies close and safe in a loving way and remain stylish while doing so.”
(Anna van den Bogert, via Artipoppe)
- Babywearing increases bonding. Babies that are involved in their caregiver’s activities are taking the role of passive observers. In this role, babies are able to snuggle into mom and focus on her familiar scent and heartbeat, or take note of the outside environment from a safe, secure and attached vantage point.
- Babywearing helps babies learn. Carrying our children increases the amount of time they spend in the state of quiet alertness. This is the behavioral state in which a baby is best able to interact with his or her environment and has even been referred to as the “optimal state of learning for a baby.”
- Babywearing gives us more freedom to explore. Trails that would leave a stroller stuck in the mud (literally) are more accessible to explore when baby is strapped safely to your back, or when little toddler legs get tired half way along the route.
My due date is fast approaching and with it, comes a million uncertainties. Yet one thing is clear in my mind. I will wear my son. I will wrap him in cloth and trust in this age-old practice that is now being supported by science, common sense and fashion. And while I may not be “Vogue-ready,” I’ll honor every beautiful extra inch and glistening tiger stripe as I carefully position my newborn against my body. Because whether they are worn during muddy hikes or through glamorous photo shoots, our babies only care about one thing: being close to mama.
You can find Mama Bean on Facebook.
This post originally appeared on Mama Bean Parenting.
You can’t use a straps-n-buckles #babycarrier on a #newborn or #preemie. That’s what #Cozitot is for. A soft #babysling ready at #1month, #2months, #3months. 1/2 the price of old brands. Why pay more? #babywearing #momlife #dadlife #babywearing https://t.co/Ii4RrPiw72
🌱Inhale. Exhale. 🌱What are some activities you do with your little ones to keep you body, mind and soul healthy? #babywearing #lillebaby #lilleletsme #regram #parenting #yoga @melonytalvy https://t.co/9BUR7xLJOW
My guide to babywearing #babywearing #momlife #babysling #ringsling #baby #motherhood https://t.co/k3FtkmwTYK
Enjoy a woven wrap in the house of your choice with these Spellbound Woven Wraps!
#WovenWrap #DBGBaby #WovenCarrier #BabyWearing #BabyCarrier #WrapCarrier #HarryPotter #SorthingHat #Slytherin #HufflePuff #RavenClaw #Gryffindor
The name’s Bond; Father-Daughter Bond 👨👧😍❤️💪🏽
#bondwithtula #tulababycarriers #babytula #ftg #freetogrow #babywearing #menwearbabiestoo #stopjudging #masculine #narwhals #costaltula #naturalparenting #bigkidwearing #babywearinglove #squallymuffin
The Prima Alpen Glacier by DIDYMOS – perfect against the west coast landscape, but also perfect anywhere! Beautiful shades of blue combine to create this spectacular textile woven from 100% organic cotton.
#birdiesroom #babywearing #mountainlife
Me in 2015: Omg babywearing is so cool I musttt wear my baby in Babybjorn & Ergobaby
Me now: Kain batik mana??? 😂
I have added some new sling rings to our shop! Sizes small, medium and large.
#slingring #ringsling #ringsjal #rengasliina #irtorenkaat #ringfinish #aluminiumrings #babysling #babywearing @ Liinalapsi – Wearababy https://t.co/nAkU3TViEC
FOUND THIS! #BabyWearing #Slings Palm & Pond Mei Tai Baby Sling – Brown Stripe https://t.co/Cm8LNXDuDC
Want to give babywearing a go but don’t know where to start? Here are 3 really useful places you can go for help and advice https://t.co/eXOBMqzg9g #babywearing #wearallthebabies
❤ New Season Baby Clothes ❤
🍁 2019/2020 Fall/Winter ❄
#babywholesale #babywearing #babyfashion #bebekgiyim #bebek #newseason #babyclothes #детскаяодеждаоптом #оптомдетскаяодежда #оптомдетское
Did you know… attachment parenting and gentle parenting are actually two different things? This post explains the similarities and differences https://t.co/5NkreJx3Tm #attachmentparenting #babywearing
Jenny LOVES the @boppycompany Boppy Comfy Fit Carrier
#boppybabycarrier #handsfree #babywearing #jennylovesit #babypalooza
Last week, I went to clean the @SoddyLakers library and reorganize; yesterday I participated in the @hamcoschools Librarian Institute and met #dogman; today these were my beautification accomplishments! #summerworking #babywearing
#familyfunday #mpasibayisehat #kaldukoala #galeriamall #diybabywearers #indonesianbabywearers #eventjogja #parenting #babywearingmeetup #babywearingmama #babywearingeducator #babywearingconsultant #babywearing… https://t.co/LD6qmOoowa
Did you just recently have a new baby? Congratulations! Join us 8/6: https://t.co/2xDxvVLHR6 #babywearing #newborn #newmom #postpartum
. @BabyKtan helps new #parents to bond with their babies through #babywearing, thanks to their innovative #babycarriers and wraps. They’ll be at the #ChicagoBabyShow on August 24-25! https://t.co/YbTviBkpH3
🐱🐭”Catch and run” Baby One-Pieces by BATKEI | Redbubble
@redbubble #redbubble #cat #猫 #cats #kitty #feline #onesie #onesy #onepiece #clothing #baby #babywearing #gift
Click to Shop >>
This crazy weird thing really does help me stay cool while out in the summer heat – AND it’s great for #babywearing! 🌸 See my video demo at the end! #froggtogg https://t.co/QtCJKf1x8d